Dunedin wows with Otago Polytechnic Student Village CLT build
As part of the recent Cluster Event in Dunedin, 18 october, we were privileged to visit the Deep South to view Otago Polytechnic’s Student Village project. The project claims to be the largest timber frame building in the country (by volume and height), even the lift shaft is made from Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT). The 231 bedrooms are a mixture of shared apartments, studios and single dorm rooms.
Some highlights from the project stats include:
- 231 bedrooms
- Communal areas
- 68 weeks site works from start to lock-up
- BIM used extensively for all services prior to panelisation
- One third fewer trucks to site
- Significant reduction in noise, dust and disruption at site
- ‘First fix’ electrical was 20-25% faster using the pre-routed panel system
- All tradies loved the project and won’t price in so much risk next time…
- The next project is estimated to be able to capture 25% time savings based on learnings from this initial build
The collaborative team behind the project that presented at the Cluster event included Logic Group, Mason & Wales, and Naylor Love 😊
Full credit to Otago Polytechnic as an innovative client that wanted to have CLT detailing ‘open-book’. Check out some more images on our Facebook Page.